[RsR] Questions about interpreting lmRob output

Jenifer Larson-Hall jen||er @end|ng |rom unt@edu
Thu Nov 15 20:27:55 CET 2007

Kjell,
Again, thanks for all your help. Could you indulge two more questions from me?

First, I thanked you for the document you sent, but you said it was available to anyone in the source version of the robust library. I have looked around for how to get to that. I tried vignette("robust") but that didn't get me anything from the robust library. When I Googled it I got a website, http://cran.r-project.org/doc/packages/, that took me to a document called robust.pdf. This was, however, NOT the same as the document you sent me! Specifically, the document at that URL contains only a compilation of all of the help files, as far as I can see, whereas the document you sent (S-PLUS 6 Robust Library User's Guide Version 1.0, dated May 2002, which you noted was a bit old now) was more book-like and I have to say, more helpful than the help files. Don't get me wrong, the help files are helpful, but this just gave more detail than the help files ever did. So . . . is this S-PLUS document available somewhere else that I haven't figured out how to get to? I'm asking because I would like to be able to refer people to it. In particular, is there some command I am missing that I could use in R to bring up these pdf documents (besides the vignette command, and I do think the vignettes are often of the same kind of quality as the article you sent, more article-like or book-like, and thus more helpful to me!).

Second, you didn't answer one of my questions about whether the resampling done in lmRob is bootstrapping. My guess, after reading your document (the S-PLUS) one, is that it is not the same thing, because the details about random resampling on p. 54 of that document seem to indicate that if I had 5 parameters, there would be 147 resamples, which is not nearly how many I am used to seeing with bootstrapping. So my question is what kind of resampling is this? Can you refer me to a source to understand better what it is if it is not bootstrapping? And if I changed the parameters to be 1000 reps, would that mean I was doing bootstrapping?

Thanks for your help.
Jenifer

Dr. Jenifer Larson-Hall
Assistant Professor of Linguistics