[RsR] Questions about interpreting lmRob output

Jenifer Larson-Hall jen||er @end|ng |rom unt@edu
Wed Nov 14 18:10:21 CET 2007

Good, I understand that answer. What I still don't understand is whether the diagnostic plot that robust calls is plotting ALL the data, or just the good part. For example, when I look at an overlaid Q-Q plot of my data,  there is not too much difference between the robust and ls lines. They are both linear in the  middle, but form an S-curve on the ends (maybe 7 points out of 37 are in the ends). So if I have a breakdown point of around .5, and then I look at my Q-Q plot and see that the middle part looks linear, can I rest easy? Or is plot.lmRob plotting ONLY the good part of the data, so now I should be concerned because I don't have a normally distributed Q-Q plot? (by the way, this data was log transformed already to try to help with the heteroskedasticity).

>>> Kjell Konis <konis using stats.ox.ac.uk> 11/14/07 10:08 AM >>>
The basic idea underlying the robust linear model is that some
fraction (1-alpha > 0.5) of the data is distributed conditionally
normal and the remaining fraction (alpha) comes from some arbitrary
distribution (i.e., the outliers).  The goal of a robust method is to
estimate the parameters (beta and sigma^2) of this conditional normal
distribution without giving the outliers too much influence.  If the
bulk of the data (aka the good data) is not distributed conditionally
normal then a linear model is not appropriate regardless of whether it
is fit robustly or not.  Of course you can still use all of the
standard linear modeling tricks.  For instance a log transformation of
the response sometimes helps with heteroskedasticity.

Kjell

On 14 Nov 2007, at 15:24, Jenifer Larson-Hall wrote:

> Thanks so much Kjell. Your response answers most of my questions.
> Actually, I figured the overlaid plots things out (and the cool
> fit.models function) by looking through the archives and finding
> your pdf presentation that showed it (www.stats.ox.ac.uk/~konis/robust/ROBCLA2006-konis.pdf)
> . That was very helpful!
>
> The documentation you sent me privately (Robust.pdf, documentation
> for S-PLUS library) was helpful in clearing up a few more lingering
> questions (I guess if others want it they can email you).

The Robust Library Users Guide (Robust.pdf) is included in the source
version of the Robust Library.