[RsR] covrob --- some OOP-comments

Valentin Todorov v@|ent|n@todorov @end|ng |rom che||o@@t
Sat Mar 25 11:18:49 CET 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Martin Maechler" <maechler using stat.math.ethz.ch>

>I assume that at least the base class(es) ('Cov', 'CovR' in
>Valentin's naming scheme) should be put into 'robustbase'  ASAP,
>so other packages can import them from the robustbase namespace
>and extend (aka "inherit from") them.

I have uploaded a new version of rrcov with constrained M-estimates of
location and scatter covMest(), for test purposes,  which still returns an
S3 class. Now I am implementing Cov, CovR and the derived from them Mest
which I want to upload in the next days. As soon as this construction is
stable, I'll move all three of them to robustbase (Martin, I rely on your
support). After that I'll port covMcd to return an S4 class derived from
CovR.

Two questions arise:
- is there some "standard" for naming classes. I assume the usual starting
with a capital letter? In some cases one can go further and select a
particular capital letter. For example in Visual C++/MFC every class started
with a capital C (in our case we would have Ccov, CcovR, Cmcd, Cogk, Cmest).
- What happens with the user of, for example covMcd() when it begins to
return an S4 class "Mcd" instead of the current S3 "mcd". Of course these
that just use print/plot/summary will not notice the change, but what about
these that use the returned object within their programs? This is actually a
general question on compatibility.

best regards,
Valentin