[RsR] function naming for "robust ..."

Wed Feb 1 19:17:31 CET 2006

    Claudio> Ciao Martin, I would like, progressively,
    Claudio> standardize my package 'wle' with the standard of
    Claudio> robustbase. If think, for me, the easy way is to
    Claudio> start with lm function (since you (you, matias and
    Claudio> andreas) are working on roblm).

    Martin> and robglm() / glmrob()  {taking up Werner's naming suggestion
    Martin> which I find very worth of consideration -- other takers, please.. ?}
I did not get a reaction on the above,
nor did Werner on his original question.

Valentin answered to me in private that he also prefers to use
a suffix instead of a prefix in this case, i.e.,
*appending*  'rob'  rather than
*prepending* it to other function names.

Since I really would like to go ahead and incorporate some more
functionality,
 - notably robust-glm from Andreas (and Eva and..),
 - but probably also soon the main "fast" functions from
   Valentin's "rrcov" package
 - and hopefully also soon the 'robust lm' from Matias' "roblm"

it is really important to have a decision here.
Should it be
   1) rob<Method>   or
   2) <Method>rob   ?

I currently count 3 votes for "2)", namely Werner's (who proposed it),
mine and Valentin's.

Maybe we don't really need another formal voting...

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich

PS: I will be at the useR'2006 as well, and yes, it would be
    great to have enough "mass" there for a "robustness" part...