[RsR] function naming for "robust ..."

claudio c|@ud|o @end|ng |rom un|ve@|t
Fri Jan 20 12:50:43 CET 2006

Ciao Martin,

I would like, progressively, standardize my package 'wle' with the standard of
robustbase. If think, for me, the easy way is to start with lm function (since
you (you, matias and andreas) are working on roblm).

Are you thinking of a mechanism, like roblm(*, method="MM"), in this case there
are any way for R to register "method" from other package once loaded, so that,
for instance, we can have, automatically, roblm(*, method="WL") for my
function? i.e., for the final user:

> library(robustbase)
> roblm(*, method="WL") Error: method "WL" for "roblm" not found
> library(wle) # new version of the library
> roblm(*, method="WL") # now it works

Otherwise, what kind of convention should I use for the name:
roblmwle
robwlelm

This is a potential problem for extending the functions to any other new method
available in the future. What is your suggestion?

Claudio