[RsR] "Robust Statistics in R" - Mailing List

Sat Nov 5 20:07:13 CET 2005

Dear participants of the Treviso workshop on
"Robust Statistics and R",

let me first thank once more, in the name of us all, the
organizing committee, notably Claudio Agostinelli as local
organizer, for the very nice workshop!

In several of the working groups, people had asked for a mailing
list in order to continue the productive discussions.  Since
further, Claudio has had a hardware problem on the computer
that hosted the provisional 'rsr' "mailing list" (rather just an
e-mail alias), it had become somewhat more urgent to be able to
send e-mail to all the workshop participants at once.

As a site maintainer of many R-related mailing lists, I had
offered to build an 'R-SIG-Robust' list ("R Special Interest
Group on Robust Statistcs").  Earlier today, you should already
have received a computer generated e-mail that welcomed you to
the list and gave you a list password and instructions to change
your subscription, etc.

Since I've subscribed everyone on the list I got from Claudio,
there are currently 78 subscribers, many of which Italian
students and others who might want to unsubscribe again.

More importantly, I know that there are quite a few more people
interested in both robust statistics and R.  Please tell your
colleagues who might be interested (and if they were not
workshop participants!) about it:
On a Unixish system such as Linux or Mac OSX, subscribing is
just a one-liner in your shell:
     echo subscribe | mail r-sig-robust using r-project.org
[Well, that will send an e-mail to your address and you'll have
 to reply to that e-mail for confirmation]

- - - -

Note that the mailing list is pretty private at the moment
{as opposed to e.g., R-help which is much more open}:

- only subscribers can freely post to the list
- only subscribers can look at the list archive {we can discuss
   this; and decide to keep the archives publicly available on the web}
- the subscribers e-mail addresses can only be seen by the list
  moderators, currently Claudio Agostinelly, Matias Salibian-Barrera and me

I hope this mailing list will help to keep the "RsR project"
rolling on, after the promising and enjoyable start in Treviso.

Martin

Martin <Maechler using stat.math.ethz.ch>  http://stat.ethz.ch/people/maechler
Seminar fuer Statistik, ETH-Zentrum  LEO C16	Leonhardstr. 27
ETH (Federal Inst. Technology)	8092 Zurich	SWITZERLAND
phone: +41-44-632-3408		fax: ...-1228			<><