[R-sig-QA] Validation of an R installation

A.J. Rossini blindglobe at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 10:38:41 CET 2005

We had an interesting discussion.  I've updated my white paper on it,
but havn't send it out yet (to Frank H., you, and some internal
folks).

Most of the delays are from having to pointed address issues related to:

1. R isn't as special/focused as WinBUGS
2. R has a commercial alternative.

Both short-circuit some of the "exception rules" that we have.

One move that has helped is the BUGS folks movement towards R with
OpenBUGS and rbugs, as well as the potential release of Xpose for R
(NONMEM post-processor), though the latter won't happen anytime soon.

The other critical need is for R-core to publish a whitepaper
describing/justifying development practices, goals, and testing/QA/QC
strategies.  It's not that the components aren't there for IQ/OQ/PQ,
but they need to be made explicit.  Martin and Doug were discussing
some issues related to it, but for various critical reasons, I don't
think it'll be done any time soon.

best,
-tony

blindglobe at gmail.com