[R-sig-phylo] plotting character states on a circular cladogram

Emmanuel Paradis Emmanuel.Paradis at ird.fr
Fri Feb 3 08:28:53 CET 2012

Rafael Rubio de Casas wrote on 02/02/2012 22:02:
>   Hi,
> Thanks, Emmanuel. I did try to play around with tip.labels (by the by, I
> did not know it called points, although I guess it makes a lot of sense).
> The problem I run into is that, for some reason, label.offset does not
> seem to work with the graphical labels. For instance, I would expect two
> concentric circles of colored dots with:

It is indeed possible to do what you want (the code is in plot.phylo),
but since you are working on a textbook example, my humble suggestion is
to use a linear tree for this; it'll be also much easier to plot
information on several traits. You'll get the same information with a
"fan" tree but more difficult to decrypt by the human eye -- though
others might have different opinions on this.

> plot(phy, type="fan", label.offset=5, plot=FALSE)
> tiplabels(pch=21, cex=1.5, bg=label[phy$tip.label])
> par(new=TRUE)
> plot(phy, type="fan", label.offset=2, plot=FALSE)
> tiplabels(pch=21, cex=1.5, bg=label[phy$tip.label])
>
> However only one is produced, and those dots are placed right on the
> tips. You can see that if you then follow with
>
> par(new=TRUE)
> plot(phy, type="fan", label.offset=2)
>
> I guess this is mostly irrelevant, But I am working on a figure for a
> book and I would like it to be a "textbook example"
> Also, when node states are drawn with nodelabels(), if if the terminal
> branches are very short, the plot of the nodes get confused with those
> of the tips
> For instance, if you try:
>
> ace.ER=ace(trait,phy,type="discrete")
> nodelabels(pie=ace.ER$lik.anc, piecol=c("dodgerblue","firebrick"),
> cex=0.5,lwd=0.5)
>
> You can see that the last node plots are at the same level of the tip
> plots. If tips were denser (i.e., if the tree had more terminals) that
> would make the plot virtually unreadable.

You might prefer to plot your tree with:

plot(phy, "c", FALSE)

You might want to try 'thermo' instead of 'pie'.

Best,

Emmanuel

--
Emmanuel Paradis