[R-sig-phylo] R: Comparative Methods and Pseudo-Traits

pasquale.raia at libero.it pasquale.raia at libero.it
Fri Nov 11 00:06:32 CET 2011

Hi all,

David, I'd say yes, PICs or P-GLS or any other? related PCM could be applied
to quasi-traits in principle. On the mathematical grounds, I think most of us
will be content with Liam's explanation. On the theoretical grounds, I think
that for most quasi-traits the correct answer is in your own words: hidden
correlations may justify PCMs as applied to quasi traits. Let's take the growth
rate/habitat degradation (by humans) relationship.  If you assume similar/close
habitats are similarly affected by humans, and take niche conservatism
seriously, than you will find yourself assuming that closely related species
most probably experience similar habitat conditions, or degradation thereof.
This means that you'd expect that the quasi trait "habitat degradation by
anthropogenic disturbance" takes closer than expected values among closely
related species, which is what PCMs do test or account for. One way to look at
evolutionary models is that they describe the path of evolution in the simplest
yet most reasonable way. Another way to look at them, is that they provide a
basic, quantitative hypothesis about character divergence given the
(phylogenetic) history of the species you consider. In the latter sense, to
appy PICs to a quasi-trait is much easier to swallow, besides being
mathematically feasible.

Pas