[R-sig-phylo] Model-Selection vs. Finding Models that "Fit Well"

Cecile Ane ane at stat.wisc.edu
Mon Jan 31 19:45:48 CET 2011

I don't find the white noise to be any good evolutionary scenario: it's
nowhere continuous. It just reduces to the assumption of normal,
independent observations at the tips. Nothing fancy, then :)
Cecile.

On 01/31/11 11:53, Luke Harmon wrote:
> I agree with Dave here. White noise has two parameters, mean and variance, and - to me - is an interesting model to test. But I'm not sure it should be considered as a "baseline."
>
> One can link Brownian motion and white noise through the Ornstein-Uhlenbeck model - BM is OU with alpha (constraint) parameter equal to zero, and WN is OU with infinite alpha.
>
> lh
> On Jan 30, 2011, at 3:18 PM, David Bapst wrote:
Cecile Ane
Assistant Professor, University of Wisconsin - Madison
www.stat.wisc.edu/~ane/

CALS statistical consulting lab:
www.cals.wisc.edu/calslab/stat.html