[R-sig-phylo] fitContinuous on a distance matrix

David Bapst dwbapst at uchicago.edu
Tue Jan 18 23:41:44 CET 2011

fitContinuous is for analyzing lineage-level trait evolution on a
phylogeny, and a distance-matrix does not describe lineage-level
properties.

You could ordinate the distance matrix (such as with an NMDS) and look
at the evolution on each axis of the ordination, but that may not be
appropriate for your dataset. Perhaps you could you give us an idea of
what sort of hypothesis you want to test with your data?
-Dave Bapst, UChicago