[R-sig-phylo] Fwd: Simulate node ages given known topology

Joe Felsenstein joe at gs.washington.edu
Wed Apr 13 07:59:08 CEST 2011

Andy Rominger wrote:

> Thanks very much Tanja and Joe,
>
> I think these suggestions for sorting will be very useful; we were
> trying to
> do something similar (but very "hacker-ish") and with this
> theoretical basis
> I'm sure we'll pull it off.
>
> And for BD, the time transformation should be perfect.

It is a very useful tool.   If people cite it, they should
check Bruce Rannala's paper to see if it is there too.
Some closely-related math certainly is.

One thing that computing the transformation for various
values of B and D (birth and death rates, called lambda
and mu in the derivation in my book) is that it gives you
a direct idea of how many groups "born" at each time
are missing from the tree owing to having gone extinct
before reaching the present day.

J.F.
----
Joe Felsenstein, joe at gs.washington.edu
  Dept. of Genome Sciences, Univ. of Washington
  Box 355065, Seattle, WA 98195-5065 USA