[R-sig-phylo] Fwd: Simulate node ages given known topology

Joe Felsenstein joe at gs.washington.edu
Wed Apr 13 07:59:08 CEST 2011

Andy Rominger wrote:

> Thanks very much Tanja and Joe,
> I think these suggestions for sorting will be very useful; we were
> trying to
> do something similar (but very "hacker-ish") and with this
> theoretical basis
> I'm sure we'll pull it off.
> And for BD, the time transformation should be perfect.

It is a very useful tool.   If people cite it, they should
check Bruce Rannala's paper to see if it is there too.
Some closely-related math certainly is.

One thing that computing the transformation for various
values of B and D (birth and death rates, called lambda
and mu in the derivation in my book) is that it gives you
a direct idea of how many groups "born" at each time
are missing from the tree owing to having gone extinct
before reaching the present day.

Joe Felsenstein, joe at gs.washington.edu
  Dept. of Genome Sciences, Univ. of Washington
  Box 355065, Seattle, WA 98195-5065 USA