[R-sig-phylo] Multistate characters

Emmanuel Paradis Emmanuel.Paradis at ird.fr
Wed Sep 22 14:24:04 CEST 2010

Hi Alejandro,

Alejandro López wrote on 22/09/2010 13:03:
> Hello all,
>
> I am working with a matrix that includes characters with multiple states
> in each taxon. I want to know if R can work with this kind of data or
> how could I code them to perform a analysis with R.

Yes, R can work with this kind of data, and if you want to recode them,
you can do it with R too. Depending on the analyses you want to do,
there's a wide range of tools in several packages: ape, geiger,
phangorn, ouch as mentioned by Aaron, and diversitree (not yet on CRAN).
  Some of them will require a phylogeny of your taxa, others not (eg,
phangorn). My guess is that you are fairly new to R packages, so take
your time to learn progressively. Also reading vignettes in packages or
basic materials available on Internet might be a good idea.

HTH

Emmanuel