[R-sig-phylo] lambda for single traits and regression

Isabella Capellini isabella.capellini at durham.ac.uk
Fri Jan 23 12:15:35 CET 2009

Dear all,

some time ago we discussed testing for the phylogenetic signal in the
data with Pagel's lambda and marginally touched the issue of
estimating lambda while simultaneous;y running a regression.

So here is my question. As Marguerite pointed out (see below), it may
happen that both your dependent and independent trait have a high
lambda, but the lambda for both of them together is lower (or
different). How is this possible theoretically? if X has lambda=1, y
has lambda=1, why isn't the lambda of the regression not 1 too? This
happened to me a few times and I really cannot figure out why (sorry!)

On a related issue, say that your X and Y have both lambda=1
individually; what should you do while testing their regression? what
is your current thinking about estimating lambda while testing for the
regression? should this be done or not? It seems to me that while some
people do estimate lambda value of the 2 traits together in the
regression, others check the lambda for each trait separately and if
they do find a strong phylogenetic signal they proceed without further
estimating lambda during the regression analysis (which should imply
they use a lambda=1, right?).

Thanks,
Isabella

--
Isabella Capellini, PhD
Research Associate

Evolutionary Anthropology Research Group
Department of Anthropology
Durham University
Dawson Building
South Road, Durham