[R-sig-phylo] Phylogenetic reference trees

Brian O'Meara bomeara at utk.edu
Thu Aug 20 15:18:30 CEST 2009

There's not yet a good single source. TreeBase.org has some
topologies, but not all studies go in there yet. The largest one I
know of there has 1569 taxa . The PhyLoTA browser (<http://loco.biosci.arizona.edu/pb/
 >) has trees for many groups and also allows you to download aligned
data to make your own. You can download NCBI's taxonomy, which is a
sort of tree, though not highly-resolved or with branch lengths, but
at least pretty comprehensive. You can also download the tree used by
the Tree of Life project (<http://tolweb.org/tree/home.pages/downloadtree.html
 >). There may be a tree available from <http://www.timetree.org/>,
but I haven't been able to find it in a form other than a pdf image.

Having a place to download the single best current estimate of the
full tree of life would be great, and there are a few research groups
working towards this goal, but it's not ready yet, as far as I know.

Hope this helps,
Brian

Brian C. O'Meara
Asst. Prof., Dept. of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
University of Tennessee, Knoxville
http://www.brianomeara.info
865-408-TREE (8733)