[R-sig-ME] nAGQ

John Poe jdpoe223 @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sun Jul 7 21:49:48 CEST 2024

Sure,

I wrote several different random effects distributions based mostly on
mixtures of normals. The main idea was that I was trying to break anything
that would assume normality of the random effects when trying to
approximate them.

One of the worst cases I could come up with was a random effect
distribution that had two modes surrounding the mean, one mode was for a
normal distribution and one was for a weibull with a long tail. So both
asymmetrical and multimodal.

All of the simulations had 5000 groups with 500 observations per group and
a binary outcome. I wanted to avoid shrinkage problems or distortions from
too few groups.

I used lme4 to fit the models and extract random effects estimates.