[R-sig-ME] location-scale models in nlme

Simon Harmel @|m@h@rme| @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sun Jan 14 22:44:25 CET 2024

Thanks so much, Ben. I conclude that the users of lme() don't need to
convert the output for "varIdent()" or "varPower()" back due to a link
function to get the estimates of the relevant Level-1 residual variances.
This is because the former gives out the proportions between residual
variances with respect to a reference level in a categorical variable, and
the latter gives out "t", which the user can insert
in: (sigma(MODEL)^2)*abs(data$X2_numeric)^(2*t) to obtain the relationship
between  X2_numeric and the residual variance.

Ben, as both a mathematical and applied expert, which location-scale
approach, do you think, is more preferable? The one implemented in nlme()
or the one that allows modeling the scale using:  log(scale_i) = a_0 +
b_1*x_i1+ ... + b_n*x_ip  (for p predictors of scale) ??

Thank you so very much for sharing your perspective,
Simon