[R-sig-ME] Implications of modeling residuals in multilevel models

Simon Harmel @|m@h@rme| @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Dec 22 22:50:20 CET 2023

Dear Ben,

These are exactly what I was looking for! Thank you so much. Please allow
me to clarify my 2nd question.

When I compare predict(MODEL) with predict(model_with_no_resid_modeled),
the former looks quite normal and unimodal in shape but the latter looks
multi-model (see the illustration below).

This made me think: should a good-fitting model produce normally
distributed predicted values? And does such a model do a better job of
predicting the value of random draw from the y population?
               *
            * * *
                        *
                      * *