[R-sig-ME] Error in qr.default(X) : too large a matrix for LINPACK

Wed Nov 22 15:23:49 CET 2023

   We'd love to help, but we can't help much without more information.
How large is your data set, what analysis are you running?

   Based on the minimal info in the error message, it looks like the
model is failing in the place where it checks to see whether the model
matrix is collinear (i.e., here:

https://github.com/glmmTMB/glmmTMB/blob/5939686f39b169b7d5a81512b6a66025f103d598/glmmTMB/R/glmmTMB.R#L1432

) Digging a little bit farther, it seems that LINPACK can't do QR
decomposition if the total size of your matrix is bigger than 2^31-1:

  if (1 * n * p > 2147483647)
         stop("too large a matrix for LINPACK")

   You should be able to skip this checking step by specifying

control = glmmTMBControl(rank_check = "skip")

  ... but you may run into trouble further down the line if your model
matrix has more than a billion entries ...

   If you can tell us a little bit more about your problem people may be
able to suggest strategies.

   Ben Bolker