[R-sig-ME] Random effects in R vs SAS

Mollie Brooks mo|||eebrook@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Aug 24 13:28:35 CEST 2023

> On 18 Aug 2023, at 07.06, Will Hopkins <willthekiwi using gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I am a SAS user, and I have just finished a near-final draft of an article
> about identifying and specifying fixed and random effects for mixed models
> in SAS. At the moment, all I say about R is this: "To all users of the R
> stats package, my apologies: a few years ago, I found the mixed model in R
> too limiting, and I struggled with the coding. I hope someone with R smarts
> will consider adapting my programs and publishing them here." I really would
> like to know if the limitations (or at least, what I consider to be
> limitations) have been addressed, so I can be more specific in my article.
> Specifically can anyone answer these questions?
>

> 1. Can you specify negative variance for random effects in R? (That doesn't
> apply to the variances representing residuals, which are never negative).
>

> 2. Can you get trustworthy estimates of standard errors for the
> random-effect and residual variances in R? (By trustworthy, I guess I mean
> the same as SAS's, but it could mean that someone has shown that the
> confidence intervals derived with the SEs have good coverage, assuming
> normality for the variances representing random effects and chi-squared for
> variances representing residuals.)
>

> 3. Does R have the equivalent of the repeated statement in SAS, whereby you
> can specify a repeated measure with an unstructured or other covariance
> matrix? (e.g., repeated Time/subject=SubjectID type=un. This statement works
> more reliably than the random statement in SAS with small sample sizes, but
> it doesn't produce residual variances, not directly anyway.)

I am not a SAS user, but I guess that their unstructured covariance matrix might be similar to the one described here
https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/glmmTMB/vignettes/covstruct.html

> 4. Does R have the equivalent of the group= option in SAS, whereby you can
> specify separate estimates of random-effect variances and covariances,
> and/or separate estimates of residuals, for different groups? (e.g., random
> SubjectID/group=Sex; repeated/group=Sex;)

This section of this website explains how a variety of random effects can be specified in many R packages
https://bbolker.github.io/mixedmodels-misc/glmmFAQ.html#model-specification

Mollie