[R-sig-ME] GAMM- Missing/uncertain group id's in random effect

Mon Jul 3 21:49:40 CEST 2023

    Unfortunately, I don't think there's an easy way to deal with this.
You *could* build a fancy Bayesian engine that would try to
estimate/impute uncertain boat IDs concurrently with the statistical
analysis (I think people *may* have done this for IDing individual
animals from camera trap or sighting data, but I don't remember).

   However, my recommendation would be to try to come up with some
reasonable, objective heuristics for lumping IDs together.  Can you use
information about co-occurrence of observations in space and time (or
not) to come up with a set of rules?  (Basically, think about how you
would try to pick out suspected duplicates by eye, then try to implement
those rules in code.) For small, noisy data sets, if you can't make
reasonable guesses about duplicates, it's unlikely that a computer will
be able to do better.

  Misclassification in this way (either incorrectly lumping or
splitting) might not make a huge difference to your results, as it will
affect the correlation of observations, not the observed
gear/effort/habitat/CPUE relationships directly ...

   good luck,
    Ben Bolker