[R-sig-ME] How does blme carry out estimation and inference.

Vincent Dorie vdor|e @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sat Mar 4 22:14:57 CET 2023

Hi Gopal,

I apologize if I'm a little too informal in my answers - it's been a long
time since I've thought about these things.

1. For generalized linear models, beta isn't integrated out. The objective
function is a numerical approximation to the marginal likelihood - i.e.
with theta integrated - and is a function of sigma_theta and beta.
Estimation is accomplished by taking that objective function on the log
scale (deviance, actually) and adding to it the prior contribution.
2. It's not, not really. summary for glmms will return a normal
approximation based on the Hessian of the objective at its extremum, which
after fitting will include the prior's contribution. It's correct-ish*,
however people who are interested in posterior intervals are encouraged to
refit their model in a full Bayesian setting. blme was designed to rapidly
prototype parametric models and sits between lme4 and full Bayes - it can
avoid the boundary problem but is relatively fast.

Best,
Vince

*With a large sample size, the contribution of the prior vanishes and the
asymptotics hold. However, with a large sample size the boundary problem
should also go away. So for when blme might be useful in penalizing the
covariance of the random effects, there's pretty good reason to doubt the
uncertainty estimates are accurate. Technically one might be able to split
the difference by analyzing how much information the covariance parameters
contain about the fixed effects, but I've never looked into that myself.
However, if you just want to incorporate prior information on the fixed
effects or fix the residual standard deviation, the results should be
correct.