[R-sig-ME] Piecewise linear regression with lmer

João Veríssimo j|@ver|@@|mo @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Mar 3 19:41:15 CET 2023

Hi Christopher,

I think you'd do this in lmer in the same way as for any
(non-mixed-effects) regression, with the only caveat being that you may
want/need to include the relevant predictors as random slopes.

You'd start by determining a breakpoint, centering your variable of
interest around it, and creating an indicator variable:

df$Shitfed.V1 <- df$V1 - breakpoint                          # 'Shift'
variable (i.e., center around the breakpoint)
df$post.breakpoint <- as.factor(df$Shitfed.V1 > 0)  # Create indicator
variable (as factor)

Then the following lmer model formula would yield estimates for: (a) the
'left' slope, i.e., for V1 smaller than the breakpoint; and (b) the
difference between slopes:

DV ~ 1 +  Shitfed.V1 + Shitfed.V1:post.breakpoint + (1 + Shitfed.V1 +
Shitfed.V1:post.breakpoint | RandomFactor)

Alternatively, this lmer formula would yield estimates for: (a) the
'left' slope, i.e., for V1 smaller than the breakpoint; (b) the 'right'
slope, i.e., for V1 larger than the breakpoint:

DV ~ 1 +  Shitfed.V1:post.breakpoint + (1 + Shitfed.V1:post.breakpoint |
RandomFactor)

João