[R-sig-ME] Cluster-robust SEs & random effects -- seeking some clarification

J.D. Haltigan jh@|t|g@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Aug 15 23:01:35 CEST 2022

Thanks for this further clarification, James.

By precision I meant accuracy of inference which, I believe, is what more
'robust' SEs that account for umodeled heteroskedasticity, will allow for,
correct? "Accurate statistical inference" in the language of Cameron &
Miller (2015).

When you note, 'if you trust the specification of your random effects
structure' can you elaborate on this? I imagine in the extreme, no random
effects structure will ever truly be perfect, so I guess it comes down to
some combination of theory, practicality, and model tractability?

JD