[R-sig-ME] Cluster-robust SEs & random effects -- seeking some clarification

Sun Jul 31 01:48:35 CEST 2022

I haven't been following the whole thread that carefully, but I want to
emphasize that

   posXsymp~treatment + pairID + (1 | union)

is *not*, by any definition I'm familiar with, a "random-slopes model";
that is, it only estimates a single population-level treatment
effect/doesn't allow the effect of treatment to vary across groups
defined by 'union'.  You would need a random-effect term of the form
(treatment | union).

   Reasons why you might *not* want to do this:

  * if treatment only varies across and not within levels of union
("union is nested within treatment" according to some terminology), then
this variation is unidentifiable
  * maybe you have decided that you don't have enough data/want a more
parsimonious model.

   Schielzeth and Forstmeier, among many others (this is the example I
know of), have cautioned about the consequences of leaving out
random-slopes terms.

Schielzeth, Holger, and Wolfgang Forstmeier. “Conclusions beyond
Support: Overconfident Estimates in Mixed Models.” Behavioral Ecology
20, no. 2 (March 1, 2009): 416–20. https://doi.org/10.1093/beheco/arn145.

On 2022-07-30 7:43 p.m., J.D. Haltigan wrote:
> Addendum:
>
> It just occurred to me on my walk that I think I am getting a bit lost in
> some of the differences in nomenclature across scientific silos. In the
> original model that they specified, which treated the 'pairID' variable as
> a control variable for which they controlled for 'fixed effects' of
> control/treatment villages (in their own language in the paper) using
> cluster-robust SEs, I think this is indeed a 'random-intercepts only' model
> in the language of Hamaker et al. They implement the 'absorb' command in
> STATA which I believe aggregates across the pairIDs to generate an
> 'omnibus' F-test of sorts for the pairID variable (in the ANOVA
> nomenclature). I say this as when I specify the pairID variable in the lmer
> model I shared (or in a fixest model I conducted to replicate the original
> Abalauck results in R), I get the estimates for all the pairs (i.e., there
> is no way to aggregate across them--though I think formally the models are
> the same if we are unconcerned about any one pairID [treatment/control
> village pair].
>
> So, in the lmer model I shared where I specify a specific random effects
> term for the 'cluster' variable, I think this indeed is allowing for random
> slopes across the clusters which implies the treatment effect may vary
> across the clusters (and we might anticipate it will for various reasons I
> can elaborate on). More generally: we are generalizing to *any* universe of
> villages (say in the entire world) where the treatment intervention (masks)
> may vary across villages. This is the crux of invoking the random effects
> model (i.e., random slopes model).
>
> I realize this is a mouthful, but I think the way these terms (e.g.,
> random/fixed effects models etc.) are used across disciplines makes things
> a bit confusing.
>
> On Sat, Jul 30, 2022 at 5:25 PM J.D. Haltigan <jhaltiga using gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> This is a very helpful walkthrough, James. My responses are italicized
>> under yours to maintain thread readability. The key is Generalizability
>> here and (as I also note in my last reply) the idea is to Generalize to a
>> universe of "any villages or clusters." That is, the target population we
>> are generalizing to is *any* random population.
>>
>> On Sat, Jul 30, 2022 at 3:01 PM James Pustejovsky <jepusto using gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi J.D.,
>>> A few comments/reactions inline below.
>>> James
>>>
>>> On Wed, Jul 27, 2022 at 5:37 PM J.D. Haltigan <jhaltiga using gmail.com> wrote:

>>> In the original investigation, the authors did not invoke a random
>>>>

>>> I don't follow how using a random intercepts model improves the
>>> generalizability warrant here. The random intercepts model is essentially
>>> just a re-weighted average of the pair-specific effects in the original
>>> analysis, where the weights are optimally efficient if the model is
> [...]

Dr. Benjamin Bolker
Professor, Mathematics & Statistics and Biology, McMaster University
Director, School of Computational Science and Engineering
(Acting) Graduate chair, Mathematics & Statistics