[R-sig-ME] Glmmlasso - Fisher matrix not invertible

Samuel Muli @@mue|@mu|| @end|ng |rom un|-bonn@de
Sat Jul 16 23:24:53 CEST 2022

Hi,

I am fitting a glmmLasso model for feature selection before performing a
traditional LMM for inference. My problem is that while running my
model, it encounters a fatal error, "fisher matrix not invertible" just
before returning the results (see Trace back results leading to the error).

I have tried to solve this problem by reducing the number of features,
and all worked perfectly if my features are below ~110. I have 54 unique
measurements at two time points (and since this is publicly available
dataset,  I attach it here for your quick review, along with my code).
However, since I would like to compare Glmmlasso with other methods, I
do not want to do this prescreening (using another method).

Based on my research, another author observed similar error but
somewhat, managed to sort it when regression could not be completed, see
https://biodatamining.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13040-018-0173-9
(p. 7). Their R code is available
https://github.com/ghedin-lab/LassoGLMMforMicrobiomes

I would really appreciate insights into this problem.

Best regards,