[R-sig-ME] defining nested and crossed random effects in glmer

Thierry Onkelinx th|erry@onke||nx @end|ng |rom |nbo@be
Tue Jul 12 10:03:45 CEST 2022

Dear Anu,

In case every species has a (near) unique value for trait, then trait as
factor becomes just another "label" for the species. trait + (1|species)
would be the same a species + (1|species), which clearly doesn't
make sense. trait + (1|species) makes only sense when the trait is
continuous.

Your model seems to contain a lot of parameters  and the number of
observations seems limited. I estimate your model has about 18 parameters.
As a rule of thumb, you need ten times that number of "effective
observations". In case of a Bernouilli response the number would be the
total of 0 or 1, whichever is the lowest. E.g. with 25% "1" you need 180
times "1" or 720 observations in total.
You might need to collect more data or simplify the model.

Best regards,

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Statisticus / Statistician

Vlaamse Overheid / Government of Flanders
INSTITUUT VOOR NATUUR- EN BOSONDERZOEK / RESEARCH INSTITUTE FOR NATURE AND
FOREST
Team Biometrie & Kwaliteitszorg / Team Biometrics & Quality Assurance
thierry.onkelinx using inbo.be
Havenlaan 88 bus 73, 1000 Brussel
www.inbo.be

~ John Tukey