[R-sig-ME] Point estimate outside of its confidence interval with lmer

Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (NP) wo||g@ng@v|echtb@uer @end|ng |rom m@@@tr|chtun|ver@|ty@n|
Sun May 15 19:42:38 CEST 2022

After simulating a bunch of datasets, I was able to find one where this issue arises.

##############################

dat <- structure(list(id = c(1L, 1L, 1L, 2L, 2L, 2L, 2L, 2L, 3L, 3L, 3L, 3L,
4L, 5L, 5L, 5L, 5L, 5L, 6L, 6L, 6L, 6L, 6L, 7L, 7L, 8L, 9L, 9L, 9L, 9L, 10L,
10L, 10L), yij = c(1.3342, -1.3854, -2.3733, -0.2884, -0.567, -0.6045, 0.494,
0.7738, 0.7991, -0.2539, -0.3956, 1.8508, 2.0849, 0.8782, 1.1726, 0.0818,
0.4099, 0.2279, 0.3244, -0.4167, -0.998, -0.9063, 0.9197, 0.806, -0.1283,
4.1764, -0.0946, -0.2065, 0.0359, 1.2685, -0.0226, 0.6875, 0.1928), obs =
c(1L, 2L, 3L, 1L, 2L, 3L, 4L, 5L, 1L, 2L, 3L, 4L, 1L, 1L, 2L, 3L, 4L, 5L, 1L,
2L, 3L, 4L, 5L, 1L, 2L, 1L, 1L, 2L, 3L, 4L, 1L, 2L, 3L )), row.names = c(NA,
-33L), class = "data.frame")

library(lme4)
library(nlme)
library(metafor)

res1 <- lmer(yij ~ 1 + (1 | id), data=dat)
res2 <- lme(yij ~ 1, random = ~ 1 | id, data=dat)
res3 <- rma.mv(yij ~ 1, V=0, random = ~ 1 | id/obs, data=dat)

summary(res1)
summary(res2)
summary(res3)

# so we get the same results from all fits

# profile likelihood CI for sigma based on ML estimation
confint(res1, parm=".sigma")

# the CI for sigma does not include the REML estimate of sigma
sigma(res1)

# get the profile likelihood CI for sigma based on REML estimation
confint(res3, sigma2=2)

# examine the REML profile for sigma^2
ci <- confint(res3, sigma2=2)
profile(res3, sigma2=2, cline=TRUE, steps=100, xlim=c(0.4,2.2))
abline(v=ci$random[1,2:3], lty="dotted")

# note: for this small dataset, the ML fit is really rather different
summary(update(res1, REML=FALSE))

# double-check the profile likelihood CI based on ML estimation
res3 <- update(res3, method="ML")
res3
confint(res3, sigma2=2)

# the lower bound is rather different compared to confint(res1, parm=".sigma")

# examine the ML profile for sigma^2
ci <- confint(res3, sigma2=2)
profile(res3, sigma2=2, cline=TRUE, steps=100, xlim=c(0.4,2.2))
abline(v=ci$random[1,2:3], lty="dotted")

So, as far as I can tell, there are really two issues here:

1) As noted already, confint.merMod() uses the ML likelihood to profile all parameters including the variance components. This can in principle lead to the CI not including a particular REML estimate of a parameter. However, the switch to ML makes sense in so far as confint.merMod() also profiles fixed effects for which one must use ML estimation. It would be *really* confusing if the CIs for the fixed effects are based on the regular while the CIs for variance components are based on restricted likelihood. Might be nice though to emphasize under help(confint.merMod) that this is happening.

2) However, in the example above, the profiling itself goes wrong, leading to an incorrect lower bound of the profile likelihood CI for sigma. After playing around with some of the settings to profile.merMod(), I got the same CI as metafor with:

confint(res1, parm=".sigma", delta.cutoff=1/64)

So, @Emmanuel, you might want to check if the issue you are encountering is not one of type 1) but rather of type 2).

Best,
Wolfgang