[R-sig-ME] measuring carry-over effects in mixed models

Phillip Alday me @end|ng |rom ph||||p@|d@y@com
Wed Mar 2 07:03:52 CET 2022

On 1/3/22 11:53 pm, Simon Harmel wrote:
> Dear Phillip,
>
> Thank you for your response. Could you possibly elaborate on
> "Depending on the exact nature of the carryover effect"?

Really just whether you meant something like correlated errors (so
classic AR models) or something more particular based on domain
knowledge (for example a convolution of successive impulses in certain
signal processing domains). The lead/lag solution basically just makes
all the usual assumptions for a linear model, it's just that you have to
consider the collinearity of any relevant covariate/predictor with
itself at a previous time point.

If you include your lagged dependent variable/response as a predictor,
then you have to be a little bit careful with having measurement error /
"errors within variables" because predictors are generally assumed to be
measured without error. (In y_(t) ~ 1 + y_(t-1), you know have the noise
of y on the wrong side.) That's a bigger topic than I have time for at
the moment, but I think I've dropped enough keywords for further
searching and/or setting up your simulations to see what happens.

> Also, how are the "lead/lag predictors" often created?

There are ways to do this in base R, but they can be a little bit tricky
with nested/grouped data, so I would go with the tidverse group_by() +
lag(): https://dplyr.tidyverse.org/reference/lead-lag.html