[R-sig-ME] How to include multiple temporal processes in one model?

Thierry Onkelinx th|erry@onke||nx @end|ng |rom |nbo@be
Wed Jan 12 13:51:43 CET 2022

Dear Adriaan,

You could get some inspiration from our analysis on the breeding bird
survey data. The report is in Dutch. Your name increases my posterior
belief that you understand Dutch ;-)

a/b/e) I expect a strong correlation between time of day and direction. I'd
only keep the direction. Time of day probably won't provide that much more
information and requires a more complex model.
c) We tried to avoid structural zeros as much as possible by defining a
relevant subset of location and within the season. E.g. if we hardly
ever find a species in forests, then exclude the forested sites for that
species. Or ignore the first period of the season when the species is known
to arrive late in the season.
d) This shouldn't be a big issue. It will affect the uncertainty on the
year estimates.

We modeled the year effect as a first order random walk per stratum. In
your case I'd consider a first order random walk along the year and a
second order random walk along the day of year.

Onkelinx, T. *et al.* (2021). Trends op basis van de Algemene
Broedvogelmonitoring Vlaanderen (ABV). Rapporten van het Instituut voor
Natuur- en Bosonderzoek 2021 (14). Instituut voor Natuur- en Bosonderzoek,
Brussel. DOI: <https://inbo.github.io/abv-rapport/2020/#>
https://doi.org/10.21436/inbor.34162521

Best regards,

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Statisticus / Statistician

Vlaamse Overheid / Government of Flanders
INSTITUUT VOOR NATUUR- EN BOSONDERZOEK / RESEARCH INSTITUTE FOR NATURE AND
FOREST
Team Biometrie & Kwaliteitszorg / Team Biometrics & Quality Assurance
thierry.onkelinx using inbo.be
Havenlaan 88 bus 73, 1000 Brussel
www.inbo.be

~ John Tukey

<https://www.inbo.be>

Op wo 12 jan. 2022 om 11:31 schreef Adriaan de Jong <Adriaan.de.Jong using slu.se