[R-sig-ME] Mixed model vs GEE

Paul Johnson p@u|@john@on @end|ng |rom g|@@gow@@c@uk
Fri Nov 5 12:51:54 CET 2021

This might be useful, although it's focussed on non-normal GLMMs, not LMMs. I read it a while ago, but I remember it being excellent:

Marginal or conditional regression models for correlated non-normal data?
Stefanie Muff, Leonhard Held, Lukas F. Keller
https://doi.org/10.1111/2041-210X.12623

"For normally distributed response variables, that is in linear regression, the choice between a marginal and a conditional formulation is not particularly delicate, because the interpretation of conditional and marginal linear regression models turns out to be equivalent. On the other hand, the choice is relevant for non-normal data, as the interpretation of conditional and marginal regression models is usually different."