[R-sig-ME] zero variance and standard deviation in random effects

Tue Nov 2 16:20:25 CET 2021

   I agree.  There is more discussion at

http://bbolker.github.io/mixedmodels-misc/glmmFAQ.html#singular-models-random-effect-variances-estimated-as-zero-or-correlations-estimated-as---1

   While I appreciate Carola Bloch's input, I think it's a little
misguided.  Having only three levels of the random effect is indeed
problematic, but it doesn't actually violate any assumptions of the
model, and there isn't necessarily anything else wrong with the model --
it's just hard to estimate variance reliably from a sample of three.
(See https://rpubs.com/bbolker/4187 for some simulated examples.) One
standard approach to this problem is to treat province as a *fixed* effect.

On 11/2/21 10:57 AM, Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (SP) wrote:
> When the variance is estimated to be zero, then this is identical to removing the random effect altogether. So whether you remove it or not will not make any difference. I would leave it in and just report the results you obtained. One can also use confint() then to obtain a CI for this variance component. While the estimate (and hence lower bound) are 0, the upper bound is likely to indicate that there could be (substantial) variance associated with this random effect.
>
> Best,
> Wolfgang

Dr. Benjamin Bolker
Professor, Mathematics & Statistics and Biology, McMaster University
Director, School of Computational Science and Engineering
(Acting) Graduate chair, Mathematics & Statistics