[R-sig-ME] Error in MEEM(object, conLin, control$niterEM) : Singularity in backsolve at level 0, block 1 in LME model

Thu Jul 8 01:46:57 CEST 2021

    If expressing the model in the R-friendliest form doesn't resolve
the problem, then you almost certainly have a *real* multicollinearity
problem, which in turn is almost certainly driven by combinations of
factors that are missing from your data set (e.g. if you have provenance
A, B, C and treatment a, b, c and the combination {provenance = A,
treatment = a} doesn't occur in your data set, then your model matrix is
multicollinear/unidentifiable.

   Some options:

  * fit in lme4 or another package that automatically handles
multicollinear terms.  Looking at the mixed model comparison table
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19itelYaVW0U0gtNtRfqh76ZGt1awlamNcJwT71u_5Uk/edit#gid=0>,
if you want an AR1 model *and* automatic rank deficiency, you might need
the INLA package (off-CRAN) ...

* You can construct the model matrix manually and drop collinear terms
yourself: at least one example is given here:
https://github.com/glmmTMB/glmmTMB/issues/522

* you can expand the two-way interaction manually and build a one-way model.

   I don't know how to interpret "There is a problem with repetition
only when I use lmer model".

   cheers
    Ben Bolker

On 7/7/21 11:37 AM, Arivoara Rabarijaona wrote:
> I can see my data in the attached file.
>
> Arivoara Rabarijaona
>
> Le mer. 7 juil. 2021 à 17:20, Arivoara Rabarijaona <arivoara using gmail.com
> <mailto:arivoara using gmail.com>> a écrit :
>
>     Thank you for your explanation. I really appreciate it.
>     However, there is no change using nlme (Error in MEEM(object,
>     conLin, control$niterEM) : Singularity in backsolve at level 0,
>     block 1 in LME model) and lmer (fixed-effect model matrix is rank
>     deficient so dropping 6 columns / coefficients). My problem is not
>     resolved.
>     There is a problem with repetition only when I use lmer model.
>
>     Arivoara Rabarijaona
>
>     Le mer. 7 juil. 2021 à 16:26, Ben Bolker <bbolker using gmail.com
>     <mailto:bbolker using gmail.com>> a écrit :
>
>             You have constructed a model with multicollinear predictors
>         (another
>         way to put this is that your model matrix is rank-deficient).  R's
>         formula interface usually takes care of discarding redundant
>         columns,
>         but when interactions are spelled out explicitly with it can't
>         always
>         manage. You might do better expressing the fixed effects
>         component of
>         the model as
>
>         (provenance + treatment + status)^2
>         '
>         As is often stated in this forum, you may have trouble fitting a
>         random
>         effect with only four levels (repetition).
>
>             Ben Bolker
>
>         On 7/7/21 4:01 AM, Arivoara Rabarijaona wrote:
>          > Thank you,
>          > provenance:treatment is normal, nothing is unexpected
>          > I think the problem is with provenance:status, but I don't
>         know how to
>          > resolve it.
>          > Using lmer, I get the message: fixed-effect model matrix is
>         rank deficient
>          > so dropping 18 columns / coefficients
>          >
>          > Ari
>          >
>          > Le mer. 7 juil. 2021 à 09:52, romunov <romunov using gmail.com
>         <mailto:romunov using gmail.com>> a écrit :
>          >
>          >> Have you tried plotting this? My guess is that you will find
>         something
>          >> unexpected in the provenance:treatment level combination.
>          >>
>          >> Cheers,
>          >> Roman
>          >>
>          >> On Wed, Jul 7, 2021 at 9:03 AM Arivoara Rabarijaona
>         <arivoara using gmail.com <mailto:arivoara using gmail.com>>
>          >> wrote:
>          >>
>          >>> Hi,
>          >>> I hope someone can help me. I'm using nlme to fit models.
>          >>>
>          >>> My dataframe (1785 obs) :
>          >>> $ id: Factor w/595 levels
>          >>> $ treatment: Factor w/3 levels
> [...]

Dr. Benjamin Bolker
Professor, Mathematics & Statistics and Biology, McMaster University
Director, School of Computational Science and Engineering
Graduate chair, Mathematics & Statistics