[R-sig-ME] glmmTMB: Including variable in as fixed effect and in dispersion model

Sat Jun 26 02:35:52 CEST 2021

   I don't see why not, although to some extent the negative binomial
error structure should account for the phenomenon you're seeing: since
the variance of the nbinom(2) is var = mu*(1+mu/k), the coefficient of
variation is sqrt(var/mu^2) = sqrt(1/mu + k).  I'm not sure what you
mean by "sample size decreasing", but for a large mean (mu), the CV
should be approximately constant (~ sqrt(k)), while for small mean the
CV should be increasing with decreasing mu (~ sqrt(1/mu)).

   It might be worth trying truncated_nbinom1 as well?