[R-sig-ME] Fixed effects in lmer()

Thierry Onkelinx th|erry@onke||nx @end|ng |rom |nbo@be
Fri Jun 18 09:54:16 CEST 2021

Dear Duncan,

If the random effects only explain the noise of the linear regression, then
you could get similar fixed effect estimates. The summary of both models
would be useful.

IMHO R² has only a clear definition under very special conditions: a linear
regression with Gaussian distribution and without random effects.
Unfortunately, as people start learning statistics with this kind of model,
they assume that other models have the same properties. You could do an LRT
between models with and without the set of fixed effects.

Are you referring to non-negative random effects? The lmer random effects
assume a zero mean normal distribution. Which implies the possibility of
negative numbers.

Best regards,

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Statisticus / Statistician

Vlaamse Overheid / Government of Flanders
INSTITUUT VOOR NATUUR- EN BOSONDERZOEK / RESEARCH INSTITUTE FOR NATURE AND
FOREST
Team Biometrie & Kwaliteitszorg / Team Biometrics & Quality Assurance
thierry.onkelinx using inbo.be
Havenlaan 88 bus 73, 1000 Brussel
www.inbo.be

~ John Tukey

<https://www.inbo.be>

Op vr 18 jun. 2021 om 08:24 schreef Duncan Jackson <duncanjackson using gmail.com