[R-sig-ME] Relationship between mixed-effects models and fixed-effects models

Douglas Bates dmb@te@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Jun 7 17:09:49 CEST 2021

Occasionally I encounter discussions of what are called fixed-effects
models in econometrics but I haven't seen descriptions of the underlying
statistical model.  Can anyone point me to a description of these models,
in particular a description in terms of a probability distribution of the
response? I would be particularly interested in a discussion of how they
relate to mixed-effects models as we think of them in lme4 and nlme.