[R-sig-ME] Question regarding updates or changes to lme4 package

Sun Jun 6 20:00:02 CEST 2021

   A few quick thoughts.

   If you gave an example with data someone who was knowledgeable and
motivated could try this out with an older version of lme4 to see if the
results changed (e.g. by checking out an old commit from the GitHub
repository and installing it).

  The 'snapshot' package allows you to install old versions of packages
(specifying a target date) from Microsoft's archival-mirror of CRAN
(MRAN), this would be another (easier) way to check for differences
depending on lme4 changes.

   This kind of problem is a good argument for  using frameworks like
the 'packrat' or 'renv' packages to manage the package
versions/dependencies used in your analyses.

   All of the changes that the maintainers think could affect results
are listed in the NEWS file; *all* of the changes are listed in the
commit history of the GitHub repository.  I think it's a very long shot,
but there have been (1) minor changes to anova() and (2) possibly some
changes to the environments in which some objects are evaluated
[although IIRC these changes were actually reverted because they caused
problems in some downstream packages].

   My *best* guess is that the differences might come from whether or
not you had the lmerTest package loaded; the lmerTest package changes
the behaviour of some functions in a generally useful but
not-always-transparent way ...

    cheers
      Ben Bolker