[R-sig-ME] Variable selection for varying dispersion beta glmm using glmmTMB package

John Maindonald john@m@|ndon@|d @end|ng |rom @nu@edu@@u
Thu Jun 3 04:09:05 CEST 2021

Look first in the help pages (?DHARMa etc) and vignettes for
the DHARMa package.  After that, I am not sure what to suggest.
Others may have suggestions.

You will be lucky to get a perfect fit.  At the end of the day, the
question is whether such differences as are apparent matter,
for the purpose for which you intend to use the model.  A useful
tack is to simulate from the fitted model, fit to that model, and
check what difference it makes for the purpose for which the
model is used.  If there is little difference, the deviations from
the model probably do not much matter.  Maybe, repeat several
times.

Maybe you need to include degree 2 term(s) in your dispformula.
Try, maybe, a degree 2 normal spline (this may give less wiggle
at the extremes, and more flexibility of shape in the midrange
region) or a degree 2 or even 3 orthogonal polynomial [use poly()].

John Maindonald             email: john.maindonald using anu.edu.au<mailto:john.maindonald using anu.edu.au>