[R-sig-ME] Natural spline (i.e. ns() ) with glmer()/lmer()

John Maindonald john@m@|ndon@|d @end|ng |rom @nu@edu@@u
Sat May 22 23:16:58 CEST 2021

It is worth checking how the choice of basis and end conditions (if any)
affects the range of shapes that can be fitted.  Try
  lattice::xyplot(ns(1:10,2)[,1]+ns(1:10,2)[,2] ~ I(1:10))
The basis is well suited to modeling a cup up or cup down shape with the
mode shifted somewhat to the right or left of center.

John Maindonald             email: john.maindonald using anu.edu.au<mailto:john.maindonald using anu.edu.au>