[R-sig-ME] glmer and influence.me - complaining about nAGQ==0

Wed May 19 02:56:23 CEST 2021

  [Replying to list]

   Good meta-question.

   You can check the archives at
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mixed-models/ to make sure you
haven't missed a reply.

   Unfortunately, since this is an all-volunteer forum, there's no
particular guarantee that people will remain interested in a thread/get
around to answering your questions. IMO it's reasonable etiquette to
"bump"/remind readers about a question that has been languishing for
some time (once you've allowed a reasonable time for an answer, e.g. a
few days); it may be helpful to include a link, in this case
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mixed-models/2021q2/029477.html ,
to help people re-locate the question.

   It would be OK to try your luck in another forum such as
CrossValidated; it would be polite and useful if/when you post there to
provide a link to this thread so people can see what has already been
discussed (although you should also provide a good summary there, so
readers don't *have* to come trawl through the archives).

   A few more points since I'm responding:

* From your _original_ problem; I've updated the influence.merMod()
method in the *development* version of lme4 so that it doesn't choke
when nAGQ=0 (the starting value can be set manually, but it also checks
and does the right thing by default when nAGQ is 0). If you're able to
installed packages with compiled code from source
(remotes::install_github("lme4/lme4")), you should be able to run
influence() on your original model.

* The gold standard for whether convergence warnings are really a
problem or not is allFit().  If you run allFit(), and the results from a
range of optimizers **are sufficiently similar to each other for your
scientific purposes**, then you can feel free to disregard convergence
warnings (at that point it doesn't really matter how nasty the warnings
sound).

* You _might_ try simplifying the model a little bit, e.g. removing the
Session : Probability interaction in the random effects term (the
standard deviation for that component is 5 times smaller than the
intercept variation, and 29 times smaller than the residual variation term).

  One tiny final point: please don't use the salutation "Dear Professor
Bolker" when responding to the list - even though I might be answering
your question at the moment, the query is still to the whole list.

   cheers
     Ben Bolker