[R-sig-ME] About warning

Sun May 16 23:28:38 CEST 2021

   There are two issues here.

  - fixed-effect model matrix is rank deficient: this is not necessarily
a problem, but you should try to understand what's going on.  There is a
detailed StackOverflow post here:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/37090722/lme4lmer-reports-fixed-effect-model-matrix-is-rank-deficient-do-i-need-a-fi#37094040

  You can look at your results to figure out which coefficients are
missing, or you can use attr(getME(m,"X"), "col.dropped") to see which
columns of the original model frame were dropped.  (It would be useful
if I or someone would write a more detailed diagnostic function to
report which columns of the original model matrix were collinear ...)

  - singular fit.

  This is a little harder. In some sense this means that your model is
overfitted (there is sufficiently little data that the best estimate of
the inter-group variance is zero).  Conclusions on the fixed effects are
most likely OK.  *If* the singular component corresponds to the variance
of an entire random-effect term being exactly zero (e.g. you have a
random intercept model), then you'll get exactly the same results for
the fixed effects, at least to the level of point estimates and Wald
confidence intervals/p-values, if you drop the RE term.

   There is a lot more discussion in ?lme4::isSingular, for a start ...