[R-sig-ME] contradictory odds ratios--a problem with the equation or the interpretation?

John Maindonald john@m@|ndon@|d @end|ng |rom @nu@edu@@u
Tue May 11 04:48:50 CEST 2021

It looks to me that there is a strong interaction between language and Association,
or there may be effects that are more complicated than that.  If so, that would seem
to me an interesting outcome to probe further.  Have you tried fitting a language by
Association interaction?

On what you call the “uneven levels” issue, I do not know what the basis may be
for thinking that "mixed models were flexible and robust enough to deal with
this kind of thing.”  Much depends, of course, on how the “unevenness” feeds into
the weights given to factor or factor combinations.  But if there is an effect
consistently over the different levels of the relevant random effect or effects,
it will feature in the mixed models results.  Note Simpson’s paradox type effects,
or the same kind of effect for regression coefficients, sometimes called Laird’s
paradox.  Hopefully, the experiment has been executed in a way that these are
not issues.

John Maindonald             email: john.maindonald using anu.edu.au<mailto:john.maindonald using anu.edu.au>