[R-sig-ME] Bivariate MCMCglmm - single value threshold response variable

Tara Cox [RPG] b@t|c @end|ng |rom |eed@@@c@uk
Mon Apr 19 23:51:05 CEST 2021

Hi Jarrod,

Thanks for getting back to me!

I've been attempting to run my models with your advised priors and it has improved convergence. However, for some of my models, the trace and density of plots of variableY (i.e. survival) still show poor mixing (see attached). The heidel.diag for at.level(variable, "X").ID:at.level(variable, "Y").ID also fails. I have tried playing around with the number of iterations, thin and burnin, but haven't had any luck. Is it possible to amend the prior to assist with convergence?

Further, as my hypotheses state that phenotypic trait X affects survival, I'd like to look at correlation between the two. I had considered using the below to extract these values, but am not sure what the best method would be. Would you be able to give any advice?

corr.calc <- model2$VCV[,"traitY:traitX.ID"]/(sqrt(model2$VCV[,"traitY:traitY.ID"])*sqrt(model2$VCV[,"traitX:traitX.ID"]))

Best wishes,
Tara

________________________________
From: Jarrod Hadfield <j.hadfield using ed.ac.uk>
Sent: 08 April 2021 14:28
To: Tara Cox [RPG] <bstlc using leeds.ac.uk>; r-sig-mixed-models using r-project.org <r-sig-mixed-models using r-project.org>
Subject: Re: [R-sig-ME] Bivariate MCMCglmm - single value threshold response variable

Hi Tara,

Your second model is correct. You can ignore the warning (not an error)
that some fixed effects have been removed; often when you set up
equations involving at.level, base R's model.matrix will not
automatically delete extra parameters and so MCMCglmm checks up on this.

The model is not mixing because you are trying to estimate the residual
variance for the binary trait and this is not identifiable in the
likelihood. You should fix it at one which results in a probit model. To
do this have fix=2 when specifying the prior for R1.

Also, make sure you are using the latest version of MCMCglmm as there
was a bug with covu models thatmay be triggered under certain
circumstances and this has now been fixed.

Cheers,

Jarrod