[R-sig-ME] Observation-level random effects

Shahinur, Islam @h@h|nur@|@|@m @end|ng |rom mun@c@
Thu Apr 8 17:04:32 CEST 2021

Hello All,
I am having trouble with observation-level random effects while running the
full model investigating two fixed covariates (one categorical and one
continuous) and two random covariates (tank and family). While I am using
the only tank random effect, it works fine, but while I am adding another
random covariate (family), I am getting the error message: Error: number of
levels of each grouping factor must be < number of observations (problems:
family).

FYI, here is my code:
model1 <- lmer(development~ 1 +cross + egg +cross*egg + (1|Tank)+
(1|family) ,data=sp)

I do have different family IDs (n=108) for each row, I assume it creates
the problem.

Your suggestions will be much appreciated!

Regards,

Shahin

Shahinur S. Islam
PhD Candidate, Department of Ocean Sciences
Ocean Sciences Centre, Memorial University of Newfoundland
St. John's, NL  A1C 5S7, Canada
Cell: (+1)709-740-3324; Twitter: @EcoEvoGen