[R-sig-ME] Confidence interval around random effect variances in place of p-value

Jack Solomon kj@j@o|omon @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sat Apr 3 02:12:26 CEST 2021

Thank you all very much. So, I can conclude that a likelihood ratio test
and/or a parametric bootstrapping can be used for random effect variance
component hypothesis testing.

But I also concluded that the idea of simply using a bootstrapped CI for a
random-effect variance component [e.g., in lme4;
confint(model,method="boot",oldNames=FALSE)  ] by definition can't be used
for significance testing, because it requires the possibility of seeing sd
= 0 which can't be "strictly" captured by such a CI from a multilevel model
(at least not easily so).

I hope my conclusions are correct,
Thank you all, Jack