[R-sig-ME] help: Fitting mixed model with continuous data that is non-normal

Tue Mar 30 02:44:39 CEST 2021

   The only continuous distributions in the standard exponential family are:

   Normal (of course)
   Gamma (good for positive response variables; mechanistically related
to multi-stage survival)
   Inverse Gaussian (rarely used)

The Tweedie distribution is in the 'extended' exponential family (once
the power parameter is known)

   You said "non-negative": do you have zero values?  In that case your
typical choices would be (1) Tweedie or (2) hurdle-Gamma (i.e.
equivalent to two separate models, one for zero vs >0, the other for the
value of the positive observations)

  e.g.
https://stats.stackexchange.com/questions/187824/how-to-model-non-negative-zero-inflated-continuous-data