[R-sig-ME] Adding Level for non-repeated measurements

Tip But |@w|@wt @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Mar 19 18:05:40 CET 2021

Dear David,

Thank you for your response. As my toy example showed, we do have a
normally distributed response variable.

As to 1), I have seen (e.g., see variable `id` in:
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-meta-analysis/2018-July/000896.html)
that what you refer to as "individual-specific" random-effects are used in,
for example, multi-level meta-regression models with a normally distributed
response variable.

In the context of multi-level meta-regression models with a normally
distributed response variable, the addition of "effectSize-specific"
(="individual-specific") random-effects often account for the variation at
the level of individual estimates of effect size. That is: "effectSize ~ 1
+ (1 | studyID / effectSizeID)" where the data looks like:

studyID      effectSizeID       effectSize
1                   1                        .2
1                   2                        .1
2                   3                        .4
3                   4                        .3
3                   5                        .6
.                    .                          .
.                    .                          .
.                    .                          .

So, I reasoned if  "(1 | studyID / effectSizeID)" is possible in the
context of multi-level meta-regression models with a normally distributed
response variable, then,  "(1 | sch_id / stud_id)" is possible in the
context of multi-level models with a normally distributed response variable
where the data looks like:

sch_id       stud_id             score
1                   1                        9
1                   2                        6
2                   3                        8
3                   4                        5
3                   5                        3
### Is my reasoning flawed here?

As to 2), I can certainly allow the variances in each "sch_id" to be
different. But does this address the correlations among students in each
school, correct?

Many thanks,
Joe