[R-sig-ME] A three-level GLMM with binomial link in R

Hedyeh Ahmadi hedyeh@h @end|ng |rom u@c@edu
Tue Mar 16 17:44:43 CET 2021

Hello all,
I am just forwarding my previous email again just in case and taking out some parts that I already figured out - thank you for all your help:

I'll think more about how to share a data set that would create the same error. Sorry, I am not very simulation savvy, but I'll try harder next time.

On the bright side, I was able to run the following model by implicitly defining the group structure (slightly different from what was suggested in the previous email) and it does give me the same estimation as lme() with random = ~1|site/family/id random structure - so the memory issue resolved for this model! Thank you for the suggestion.

dd$site_family <- interaction(dd$site, dd$family)
m2.1 <- lmer(cbcl_scr_syn_internal_r ~ 1 + X1 + X2 + X3+ (1|site) +(1|site_family/id), data=dd,  REML = FALSE)

But now getting to my last question: My data has 22945 rows, and some individuals have only baseline measurement, some individuals have baseline and 1 year measurement. A variable called eventname is the indicator of that. I am now confused as my "id" variable does not have this information (i.e. the order of measurement). How would the model recognize that which repeated measure is measurment1 (i.e. baseline) and which one is measurment2 (i.e. 1 year)?  Or maybe because I don't have a random slope, I don't need to define the repeated measure structure and adding eventname as a fixed effect is sufficient?

OR do I need to run a model with additional random intercept of eventname (i.e. (1|site/family/id/eventname)) but in doing so lme() gives me the number of observation equal to number of grouping for eventname %in% id %in% family %in% site as follows. Would that be okay?

Number of Observations: 13388
Number of Groups:
                                                       site                                               family %in% site
                                                        21                                                       9393
                                              id %in% family %in% site                  eventname %in% id %in% family %in% abcd_site
                                                     11111                                                      13388

Again, thank you so much for your time.

Best,

Hedyeh Ahmadi, Ph.D.
Statistician
Keck School of Medicine
Department of Preventive Medicine
University of Southern California

Postdoctoral Scholar
Institute for Interdisciplinary Salivary Bioscience Research (IISBR)
University of California, Irvine

LinkedIn
www.linkedin.com/in/hedyeh-ahmadi<http://www.linkedin.com/in/hedyeh-ahmadi>
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/hedyeh-ahmadi><http://www.linkedin.com/in/hedyeh-ahmadi>