[R-sig-ME] lmer code for multiple random slopes

Thu Mar 4 11:45:33 CET 2021

Hi Peter,

In:

response ~ x + (1|G2/G1) + (x|G2)?

the first () term adds random intercepts for each level of G2 and random intercepts for each level of G1 within G2. The second () term actually stands for (1+x|G2), so it again adds random intercepts for each level of G2, and random slopes for x for each level of G2 (and allows these random intercepts and slopes to be correlated). So, you are in essence adding random intercepts for G2 twice; probably not what you intended. Maybe you want:

response ~ x + (1|G2/G1) + (0+x|G2)?

but this implies that the random intercepts and slopes at the G2 level are uncorrelated. Or you could use:

response ~ x + (1|G1:G2) + (x|G2)?

which gives you correlated random intercepts and slopes for G2 and also adds random intercepts for the various G1-G2 level combinations (i.e., random intercepts for each level of G1 within G2).

Best,
Wolfgang