[R-sig-ME] addressing singularity in lme4 fits caused by subsets of contrasts

Thu Jan 21 23:01:58 CET 2021

   This is an interesting question ("interesting" means among other
things "I don't know").

   If you get a variance estimate of zero for the second contrast then
removing that term from the model should (I think) give you **exactly
the same** model results (as an analogy: suppose you had the mean model
y = a +b*x+c*z and for some reason got an estimate of c=0, then you said
"can I drop z from the model?")

   More generally, in order to know whether this is OK you have to
define what "OK" means.  Trying to avoid philosophical or subjective
statements, you could ask whether following this process gives 'good'
results (unbiased and/or low-error estimates and good coverage of
whichever set of parameters you're interested in). In particular, if
you're interested in inference on fixed effects only, then I'd say you
can do anything to the random effects component of the model as long as
it doesn't mess up your estimation and inference on the fixed effects.

   You could try some simulations to test your idea (note that your
conclusions can only be for the range of parameters you've actually
simulated: in particular Bates et al 2015 criticize the realism of the
simulations from Barr et al 2013 "keep it maximal":

"First, the simulations implement a factorial contrast that is
atypically large compared to what is found in natural data.  Second, and
more importantly, the correlations in the random effects structure range
from−0.8 to +0.8.  Such large correlation parameters are indicative of
overparameterization.They hardly ever represent true correlations in the
population.  As a consequence, these simulations  do  not  provide  a
solid  foundation  for  recommendations  about  how  to  fit
mixed-effects models to empirical data."

Bates, Douglas, Reinhold Kliegl, Shravan Vasishth, and Harald Baayen.
“Parsimonious Mixed Models.” ArXiv:1506.04967 [Stat], June 16, 2015.
http://arxiv.org/abs/1506.04967.